Welcome to BioZone
BioZone seeking Executive Director
We are looking for an experienced Executive Director to help translate research to practice. The ideal candidate should have considerable experience in research and R&D and who is looking for a challenge and opportunity to make a difference in the way research is conducted and translated. The Executive Director will help develop a strategic plan for BioZone, play a major role in writing proposals, lead PR activities and manage staff. For more information about this position and if you would like to apply, please go to: https://utoronto.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=1402263
BioZone is a Centre for Applied Bioengineering Research at the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering.
Our multi-disciplinary team consists of internationally renowned researchers who work at the interface of biology and engineering and share a common vision: to use the most advanced and innovative biotechnology to address some of our most urgent societal needs in energy, environment and health.
We imagine a world in which:
- everything we throw into our compost bins is converted efficiently into energy
- algae are farmed to produce clean, renewable food and energy
- natural enzymes are harnessed to convert crop residues into useful materials
- computers are used to design living cells that make green consumer products and cheap and effective pharmaceuticals
- bacteria are trained to clean up chemical pollutants in contaminated groundwater
- damaged tissue in sick or injured people can be repaired using engineered cells
- foods are enhanced with micronutrients to alleviate malnutrition around the world
The scale and complexity of many of these issues require the collaboration of researchers from several disciplines, each contributing their unique expertise to bring the initial kernel of an idea to final implementation.
Engineers are critical to this task – they design the systems that shape our world – but they cannot meet this challenge alone. BioZone provides a nexus where the best minds from relevant disciplines work together using state-of-the-art equipment to develop innovative biotechnology to protect our environment and our health.
For more information on the research themes in BioZone, please click here.